Metaphysics Course

This blog is a collection of essays and lesson comments from several of the Universal Life Church courses on Metaphysics. We have a Spirit Quest Course and one on A Course In Miracles.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Comparative Religion



       In this Comparative Religion course, I really liked how it covered a lot of religions that I have not seen covered in other places.  I am used to seeing Judaism, Christianity, and Islam covered but not along with Hindu, Buddhism, Sikh, and others.  I gained a lot of respect of other religious beliefs that other people have and understand more about their religions.  The thing I liked best about this Comparative Religion course is the broad range of topics and religions that were brought up.  The thing I liked the least about this course was that some of the discourse were quite lengthy and took up quite a large chunk of time to get it to print correctly and time to read and understand it.  I would like to see some of the discourses shortened and maybe lengthen some of the other discourses so future students can plan around a more consistent lengthed discourse.  I would very much be intersected in taking other courses by Rev. Kythera-Ann.  Personally, I would like to see a course on Hinduism and on Unitarian Universalism.
            I learned a lot from this course.  One thing that I had always wondered which was in this course was the difference between a sect and a cult.  This course finally gave me an answer to what that was.  I also liked the part on the evolution of religion where the Egyptians started with female gods and leaders until Aryans started moving into Egypt.  Also, I found it interesting on how race, gender, and ethnicity play big parts in religion from where house of worship are to who can be a clergy person in that religion.  I, also, learned about how some of the religions share some of the same stories like about the flood that occurred that Christians know about with Noah's Ark.  For me, I really loved the parts about the mysticism and esoteric/exoteric part of this class for I am really interested in esoteric teachings.
            I also loved the section about the different titles in different religions.  I did not realize that there were so many different titles and different ways of how to write the person with a certain title.  I did get somewhat confused through the course with the different sections that seemed to new titles.  The flow chart on how different religions come out of other religions was extremely helpful to see.  A lot of the new information in the course was difficult for me to understand at first and required me to reread the discourse.  Since I am Christian, I was very interested in the different branches of Christianity such as Catholicism, Anglican, Protestant, Lutheran, and Eastern Orthodoxy.  It was very interesting to see how the different branches practiced Christianity.
       This was a very beneficial class which contains a wealth of information.  Hopefully, there will be a continuation of this class with Comparative Religions Part 2.  I hope that Part 2 goes into more detail about religions that have a smaller membership like Mormonism, Shinto, and Sikh.  I would also like to know more about Hinduism and the different branches of Hinduism.

**********************

Ordination with the Free Online Ordination button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar



No comments: