Metaphysics Course

This blog is a collection of essays and lesson comments from several of the Universal Life Church courses on Metaphysics. We have a Spirit Quest Course and one on A Course In Miracles.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Monnie's responses to Lesson 12


The lesson/assignment for this week was to spend at least 2 fifteen minutes sessions repeating "God is but Love and therefore so am I."  We were also to remember and repeat this whenever we felt our self-esteem was flagging.

I found this to be a very difficult homework assignment. I do not doubt that my self-esteem needs to straighten up.  By this I mean there are days when I do not feel good about myself.  There are other days when it seems I have an inflated sense of self-worth.  Both of these conditions are undoubtedly the work of the ego.  I believe when we are secure in who we are there is no need for self-deprecation or for self-inflation.  When we are secure in "remembering" who we are there is just truth and connectedness.  There is no less than or better than there is only "I AM".  So my ego and I wrestled. Also I do not necessarily believe the same way that our instructor believes.  I do not think "the Course In Miracles" has a corner on the market to God or the Truth.  I see the Course as interesting and as one way to remembering who I AM, however, I do not see it as the only way nor do I embrace it as my way. I found the wording of the mantra we were to say difficult for me.  I changed it a little and that made it easier for me to "settle into the mantra."  After changing the wording to "God is Love therefore I am." I was able to more easily do the assignment and after several days I finally found saying the mantra comforting and helpful. It is likely I will continue to say this mantra when I am feeling off center.

Monnie


No comments: