Metaphysics Course

This blog is a collection of essays and lesson comments from several of the Universal Life Church courses on Metaphysics. We have a Spirit Quest Course and one on A Course In Miracles.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Christian Studies

 "So don't worry, saying, 'What will we drink? What will be wear?' The pagans ask for all these things, but your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. Ask first for the kingdom of God and His justice, and these other things will be delivered to you. So don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow can worry about itself. Each day's evil is enough for the day. (Matthew 6:31)

How many times a week, or even a day, do I think "How am I going to…", or "But what if…", or "But what about…"? What am I doing when I'm busy worrying? You can see that the dictionary says that I'm "tormenting myself". Taking the dictionary a bit further, I see that "torment" in this context means "extreme mental anguish and distress".

Why in the world would I WANT to cause myself all this extreme mental distress? God tells me in His Word that HE is in control, that HE is aware of everything I'm facing, and that HE will take care of EVERYTHING. I'm not supposed to worry about ANYTHING, because God cares, and He promises to help me.

A story I'm reminded of was when Jesus was traveling, and a woman named Martha asked Him into their home. Mary, her sister, sat at His feet, and listened to what He had to say, but Martha was all upset about the work she needed to do while He was there. She finally asked Him "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work all by myself? Tell her to help me."

His answer was so simple, so plain, and so unavoidably true. He said "My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41,42 NLT)

There is ONLY ONE THING that I need to concern myself with in my life, and that is my current relationship with Jesus Christ and God the Father. If I'm committed to Him, then I am REQUIRED TO surrender my worries, and allow Him to do His job of taking care of me.

Compared to "extreme mental anguish", I'd rather Let Go of my worries, and Let God take care of my needs. I need to be talking to Him constantly about things, and thanking Him for His answers, and this is the ONLY way I can have peace and release from all of my concerns. Living in a trusting relationship with God can ONLY bring happiness, peace and contentment.

Pastor/Teacher Michael Eric Brown
The Four Gospels Course by ULC Seminary

**********************

Ordination with the Free Online Ordination button.

The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.


Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments: